Anyone who is interested in policing, has completed a 4-year college degree program, and subscribes to PERF’s principles is eligible to join PERF.
The PERF Daily Clips are exclusively a benefit for PERF members. If you would like to receive the PERF Daily Clips, please consider submitting an application to join PERF. The Daily Clips consists of a daily email to PERF members, listing the latest news media articles about issues in policing. PERF members also obtain access to the Daily Clips Blog, a collection of past articles searchable by “tags” for the most common topics. This feature is useful for research purposes – for example, to quickly find news stories about other police departments that have implemented a new strategy or technology that you are considering.
PERF members also receive hard copies as well as digital copies of PERF reports and our newsletter, Subject to Debate. And PERF members receive invitations to participate in PERF conferences and national and regional meetings.
The principles that guide PERF are:
1. Research, experimentation, and exchange of ideas through public discussion and debate are paths for development of a professional body of knowledge about policing;
2. Substantial and purposeful academic study is a prerequisite for acquiring, understanding and adding to the body of knowledge of professional police management;
3. Maintenance of the highest standards of ethics and integrity is imperative to the improvement of policing;
4. The police must, within the limits of the law, be responsible and accountable to citizens as the ultimate source of police authority; and
5. The principles embodied in the Constitution are the foundation of policing.
**Effective January 1, 2015, membership prices are as follows:
To qualify for general membership, a person must:
SUSTAINING MEMBERSHIP ($150/calendar year)
For general members who have retired.
SUBSCRIBING MEMBERSHIP ($200/calendar year)
If you do not qualify for general membership, you may qualify as a subscribing member, provided you have at least a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
Subscribing members include: